Monday, November 3, 2008

Another post... (after a super looong while)

As I expected, I haven't really kept up with my blogging assignments... (>_<) Therefore, here I am again, writing (more like cramming) another longer set of blog posts than I would have needed to if I kept up with the assignments. (Haha, oh, the irony of my lazy stupidity...)

First topic (of my required minimal two posts): Quality in journalism in any aspect:

Hmm... QUALITY... Well, especially in regards to journalism, I really value voice of the writer. Quality (in writing) to me shows what a writer is thinking, and uses their ability to use/PLAY with words to explain his/her thoughts. I mean, the best people I have come across are the people who have exciting personalities, and not totally dry and strict on themselves.

It is possible that I like the pieces of writing that convey the best of someone's personalities. Looking at the previous sentence, the best of someone's personalities means the good AND the bad aspects. A piece of writing could be one of the best pieces of writing and have one of the darkest points of views on the planet (i.e. EDGAR ALLAN POE => one of the best poets known to the English writing world). I actually like it when a person can take the opposite side of the common argument. I think about taking the opposite side of an argument, but don't do it very often due my lack of knowledge to back up my reasoning.

KNOWLEDGE: A KEY FACTOR IN JOURNALISM... I think that having valid information is one of the most important factors of making a journalism piece. I have seen this one article (in the University of Hawaii's school newspaper) regarding my school's (Punahou School) annual carnival and where all the funds go towards.

LINK: (You might find it interesting, depending on your standpoint.)
http://media.www.kaleo.org/media/storage/paper872/news/2007/02/01/Editorials/Dont-Go.To.The.Punahou.Carnival.Its.Social.Injustice-2794231.shtml
FOLLOW UP ARTICLE:
http://media.www.kaleo.org/media/storage/paper872/news/2008/01/31/Commentary/Revisiting.The.Punahou.Carnival-3179994.shtml


The author, probably (in my opinion) didn't do very much research to back up his story. Although some of it does make sense, a lot of it can be considered a logical fallacy. (Haha, a Humphrey's moment... Nolan'll get this.) There were many comments from Punahou students and alumni and carnival fans (as a follow up article stated) criticizing this article. It was interesting to read the article and comments as the comments had a lot of facts to back up the criticism. At times, I thought that the comments were stronger than the article because of the supporting facts that were stated. Facts are also important because if a writer gets the information incorrect, the article will most likely be taken as a joke (or something of a fool's paragraph) by the readers.

ELOQUENCY: A KEY FACTOR IN VOICE...
Eloquency can make or break a person's writing voice in a way. Eloquence doesn't need to a sentence with long and complicated words. It just needs to make sense, HAVE CONFIDENCE in what the author is writing about, and show the writer's voice. A person could have one of the best writing voices, but how they put out their writing voice is crucial to display the 'fullness' of the voice. The eloquence of a person's writing is also important to show the degree of his/her opinion on the matter (news or editorial). Again, as I stated in my paragraph about knowledge&facts, if a journalist writes in a very confusing way that the message and/or voice is unclear, the article will most likely be taken as a joke (or something of a fool's paragraph) by the readers.

.... *reading over post...* I think that sums up my personal key factors to a quality article (news or editorial). I guess that's one down, another one to go! =D

No comments: