Monday, November 3, 2008

Second blog.... (second part of 1st quarter crammig)

Yes, this is my second part/post of my almost late blogger posts. (Ha, ALMOST. note that word. ha... =D) TOPIC: Identify FOUR factors of quality article writing and discuss how you incorporate it into your own writing.

Hmm... well in the previous post I think I identified three out of my four personal standards of writing: voice, knowledge, eloquence. I'm not quite sure what my fourth standard of quality writing is/would be... OHP! CONFIDENCE! Although, according to my previous post, confidence falls under my definition of eloquence, it does have a very high significance in (my) writing.

VOICE: Most of my written pieces have a lot of voice (or so says many of my current and previous English teachers). I really value this aspect of writing because a person is most likely writing to show what they think, and in turn, to voice their opinion about a topic.

KNOWLEDGE: I really like to have the necessary amount of knowledge to make my writing valid. (Seriously, who wants to make an embarrassment out of themselves because they said something wrong?) And if my knowledge can help me in a discussion, then I can have bragging rights to say "HA I KNOW MORE THAN YOU". (I know, it's mean, but that's how I function... so DEAL WITH IT. lol.)

ELOQUENCE: This is my weak point as I notice my grammar is not up to par in parts of my writing. It's kinda sad really, because I remember being the 'grammar queen' so to speak in seventh grade. My friends call me the "English queen" as a joke, especially when they want me to edit one of their papers. When editing, I usually won't find anything wrong with the paper unless the writing is inconsistent with the author's voice and knowledge. I know that I need to work on this as I have received comments from my teachers and my more hard-core writer friends.

CONFIDENCE: This is not necessarily my weak spot nor my strength. I guess it depends on how my voice of my written piece ends up. My confidence usually works very closely with the voice of my piece, which is usually greatly affected by the topic I am writing about. If I can't bring myself to believe/agree with my writing topic, my voice won't come out into the piece for display, then I don't feel very confident in my writing. It shows when I don't have confidence in my writing and I end up with lower grades and lower quality papers.

I will continue to incorporate these and improve these aspects of my writing in whatever form I come across. Hopefully, I'll be a lot better in my eloquence and more consistent with my topic confidence.

No comments: